Saturday, March 22, 2008

Crochet Baby Afghan.

Gonna be a Great Grandma March 14,2008.I am a beginning crocheter. I know how to do two stitches...Single Crochet and Double Crochet. I went to Fred Meyer's and spent entirely too much money on some really soft and snuggly yarn...Lion Brand yarn Velvet Spun Chenille. The label ready that it is a "bulky size 5" yarn. I bought 5 blue skeins and 4 green skeins. Am thinking start with blue than green alternating after each skein.
1. Would I be better off doing this in single crochet so his little fingers do not get hung up in the double crochets? I would like to start this tomorrow morning.
2. I want it to be large enough that it will be good for use in a crib when my new great grandson is old enough. What is the proper length and width it should be? I remember, I always wished they were a couple inches wider and longer than the storebought ones. 3. Each skein contains 3 oz of yarn or 54 yards. How do I know how many skeins I will need? I want to get the same dye lot.

Your single crochet or double crochet will be fine - I stay away from stitches with holes to avoid their little fingers getting tangled in the blanket.
I would recommend the new blanket be 3x3 so they can use it in the crib, to wrap baby, to lay on the floor when baby plays on the floor, to decorate the room with etc. Your yarn will yeild an average of a 4" sc square per skein so 16 skeins plus I always buy an extra. You can always return the extra. I would also recommend getting a yarn the new mother can wash and dry easily because she's going to be very busy with the baby. This yarn can be machine washed but not machine dried. That yarn also says to tie the ends together well, usually it's not recommended to tie especially when changing colors. As plush as this yarn is, I would buy a yarn that can be thrown in the washer and dryer without worry, and made without worry that the yarn will come detached because the ends didn't get tied securely enough.

No comments: