Saturday, March 15, 2008

Will an oatmeal bath help my dermatographia?

Will an oatmeal bath help my dermatographia? I don't know what to do! Can't stop itching!?
I've had hives for about 6 days and they don't seem to be going away even with benadryll and steroids. How long can dermatographia last. I can write full sentences on my skin and hives will appear. I was wondering if an oatmeal bath would help. I would love ANY advice. My doctor is not helpful.

I had a friend who had really bad psoriasis and her son had excema. She swore by filling a net or stocking with oats and hanging it under the taps while running the bath. She said it was the only thing that soothed them.

long time ago I had a very severe case of hives the medication the doctor gave me I was allergic too but the medicine is called attarax (sp) check to see if you have changed anything ie laundry soap, bar soap anything out of the ordinary. hope this helps there is a product out at the stores but for the life of me I can't remember its a product for dry skin and hives call your local pharmacy and see if they have any suggestions also good luck

Well Hives are normally caused by stress and appear from a allergic reaction to something. Have you changed any thing like soap, detergents, perfumes, anything like that. If so you may be allergic to one of those or taking any new meds or pets? Oatmeal bath should help, but it's temporary. But it really sounds like your allergic to something if steroids and benadryll are not doing anything. You can also try using a Solution called Domeboro Solution it works really, really good. You can find it at the drug store with all the anti-itch creams and poison ivy stuff. If you have a walgreen's pharmacy I know they sell it I used it for Poison Ivy and it took it away. If you have any trouble finging it ask your pharmacist.

Have you tried chloratrimiton (not sure of spelling).
I get hives frequently and if its bad I take chloratrimiton
instead of benadryl. Oatmeal bathes are helpful. The
main thing you need to do is not scratch or rub on the
hives this makes it worse. Aveeno is very helpful.
Write me if you have any further questions.

My 5 year old has dermatographia really bad. It is awful, and the allergy clinic we take her to offers little or no help. I am not sure that they completely know what to do. She is on so much medication, I don't know what to do. But, I will say that getting over heated will make the symptoms worse and really cold weather also makes the symptoms worse. Also, if you are anything like my daughter, she seems to get it worse when her body is trying to fight an infection. At that point she also gets hives. The doctors say that if you take an antihistamine the dermatographia will get better. We noticed it around Christmas and for a couple of months she had no symptoms, but now for the last month they are back. I am new to this but hopefully it is something that comes and goes or just goes away someday!! But, you are not alone. My 5 year old hates it, because the kids at school are mean and don't know how to deal with it. The teachers, don't know either. They all think she has a rash. No one really gets it, unless you or someone you know has it.

1 comment:

mlhrndnn said...

Try Zyrtec or Claratin, I had dermatographia for several years and Zyrtec controlled it. It mysteriously went away just as it had appeared.