Friday, November 28, 2008

Are there withdrawal symptoms from chemicals in cigarettes besides nicotine?

Nicotine patches are deliberately designed as slow release to give you small amounts of nicotine over longer periods of time and are absorbed through the skin which is not as direct into the bloodstream as inhalation. And of course depending on how many you smoked a day the patches probably provide somewhat less of a daily dose of nicotine which would lead to some withdrawal symptoms.

On the other hand cigarettes have been known to contain Caffeine, Ethyl Acetate and Methyl Nicotinate all of which have their addictive traits.

----------------

I know that there are lots of other chemicals in cigarettes besides nicotine. Maybe this sounds dumb, but are they addictive? I'm on the patch but still having what I think must be withdrawal symptoms. I feel really tired and spacey, like I did when weaning on and off bipolar medications. Obviously something is affecting my brain to cause these symptoms, but I assume that since I'm on the patch I'm not in nicotine withdrawal?

Yes I have heard from multiple sources that the cig companies put addictive chemicals in their products so that you will indeed become addicted and keep buying their cigs. Nasty, huh?

You are probably withdrawing from something...you could probably do a little internet research and find out what it is they put in there and get your mind off the side effects.

Congrats on your decision to quit. I know it's not easy so hang in there.

----------------

I quit cold-turkey 2 years ago, after smoking for about 15 years. I truly as physically sick, I am throwing up, etc. It lasted for about 5 days, and the other symptoms lasted for about two weeks. I can truly tell you, for about two weeks, I was experiencing horrible withdrawals. But, all in all it was sooooo worth it. I think you can do it too.

---------------

Try stop using the patch and just going it alone and see what happens. I am betting that your ready to stop alltogether. Also, the sooner you equate smoking with killing yourself, the sooner you will be able to quit for good. You see changing the associations your mind has with smoking is how you quit. Right now, when you think of smoking you think of pleasure. However, if you can change that so that when you think of smoking you think of pain and death, you will never want another ciggarette. Its all in your mind.

No comments: