Saturday, November 15, 2008

What are the effect of Hydrogen vs Fuel when you convert to save fuel?

I live in OK and saw a broadcast about converting fuel to hydrogen. I think its a good idea, of course my boyfriend has questions about what it will do to the engine long-term. Please advise.

Hydrogen embrittlement is a problem in engines using only hydrogen as fuel. The hydrogen soaks into the metal surfaces of the engine and causes a molecular change, making the metal brittle. Hydrogen embrittlement has yet to be documented in vehicles using small amounts of supplemental hydrogen . I installed my first hydrogen generator on a 1992 ford ranger 4.0l, after install my average mileage went from 17.1 to 23.7. A side benefit is that my engine knock when pulling hills is gone.
Install #2 is my 1977 Mercedes 240D (2.4L / 64 horse power). mileage went from 27.2 to 36.4 using bio-diesel 80.
There are a lot of web sites that will sell you plans for a hydrogen generator (electrolizer) . Many of these plans are fine for kids science fair projects but produce very little hydrogen. Some of these devises look like a mayonnaise jar with wires coming out of the top with old forks for electrodes, and recommend using baking soda for an electrolyte…. Not something I recommend to attach to your vehicle!

if you actually get one converted and running. it will save you thousands of dollars. and it wont do any damage that will cost that much to repair. if you have the money and the knowledge to do it go ahead. its a good idea, i hope the compressed air vehicle comes to the us soon myself, but all alternative fuels interest me

No comments: