Saturday, November 29, 2008

How do you know if a breast lump could be cancer?

1.I went to the doctor for a lump in my breast I found a few months ago and she is sending me to a surgeon. Should I be worried? I thought you only were sent to the surgeon if the doctor thought it was cancer. I will go have a mammogram Monday morning and then see the surgeon in a couple of weeks. I am 31 years old and breast cancer does not run in the family. I am scared to death but don't want to get bad thoughts is my head if I don't need to.

2.Im 17 and i think i have a lump in my breast.i know some lumps are normal to have but how do you know if it could be dangerous?Should you check your breasts at 17?At what time of the month is best to check?Ill be getting my period in a day or 2 so my breasts are tender so should i forget about the lump until they are not tender ?

1.Well, a lump in your breast warrants some degree of concern. But, at this point, there's no need to panic. Just follow through as your doctor has planned.

Going to a surgeon is no red flag. I assume that "your" doctor is either your gynecologist, or your general practititoner. In both cases, these are doctors who generally don't deal with breast lump issues beyond initial evaluation and then referral.

The surgeon will probably, if your doctor hasn't already done so, order a mammogram. Perhaps other radiologic and/or imagining studies will be in order, I don't know the location or feel of your lump.

Then, the surgeon will work with you and plot a course of action. He/she may simply do a needle aspiration, to drain it of fluid - if it's filled with any fluid. Or, you might be set up to have a needle biopsy or biopsies of the lump. Depending on the results there, other surgical followup could be necessary. The first step is to find out what's "in" the lump and the surgeon will command that ship, so to speak. It may well be nothing, dear... so let's just not worry more than a little right now.

2.There is no way to know if a breast lump is cancerous without consulting a doctor; then if s/he has cause for concern s/he will refer you for tests. You can't self-diagnoose.

But at 17 your chances of having breast cancer are very close to zero.

80% of people diagnosed with breast cancer are over 50; women in their 20s and 30s who get breast cancer are considered young, and account for only a very small percentage of those diagnosed.

It is EXTREMELY unusual in a teenager - really, beyond rare

Even in adult women (including the over 50s) most breast lumps are not cancerous. Many women have naturally lumpy breasts.

Wait till after your period; if you're still worried see your doctor by all means - s/he should be able to reassure you. Some people here have suggested a mammogram - no doctor will order a mammogram on someone your age - young women's breast tissue is too dense for a mammogram to be a useful diagnostic tool. In all likelihood s/he will be able to reassure you after a physical exam only.

Examining your breasts is a very good habit to get into; you should do so monthly, several days after your period ends - this is when your breasts are least likely to be swollen and tender.

My female gynecologist shared this nugget of wisdom with me after I found a lump and became concerned, she said "female breasts are normal lumpy to a certain extent -- if you suspect an unnatural lump, just check to see if you have the same 'lump' on the other breast, because most are symmetrical." Sure enough - I felt the same 'lump' on the other side and quit worrying.

No comments: