Friday, November 28, 2008

Coughing up green gobs of goo?

I have a deep, chest, bronchitis sounding cough. The phlegm produced is thick and dark yellow to greenish. I have a runny nose, but am not really sneezing. There is pressure in my chest, and I am having difficulty breathing. I don't sleep well b/c I am coughing so hard, and occasionally have coughed up blood and/or vomited due to the intensity. I have pressure in the area behind/around my eyes and nose. Also, I had these symptoms a while back, and thought it was just the common cold. It has been on and off for about 1 1/2 months. I would go to a doctor, but I do not have a primary care physician near my University.

You have probably had some kind of recurrent bacterial sinus infection, which is now moving into your chest. You are developing pneumonia. Coughing up blood is a considered a serious symptom, in this case probably a sign that persistent coughing is causing minor throat or bronchial damage. nevermind distance, get to a doctor or a hospital and get antibiotic treatment now.

You can also try some Miucinex - will help with the congestion and coughing a little bit. Besides what sounds like a bad sinus infection you could be on your way to getting walking pneumonia (coughing at night and blood tainted mucus) please be sure to take your temperature. Walking pneumonia is almost always accompanied by a low grade Fever.
A Deep sinus infection must be treated - leaving this could cause (aside from the pneumonia) ear infections, eye infections and a slew of other problems.
I hear you about the insurance problem - I had a friend who had a mysterious lump on her ribs. I suspected cancer but being in the same situation you are, she could not even go to a primary! I told her to check out her local university's medical programs (this did the trick and she was able to get treatment and subsiquently has been in remission for 4 years!). Many times they can help, suggest or even assist you in seeking health care alternatives that are suitable to your situation

No comments: