Saturday, November 15, 2008

How can I save gas and money while traveling across country?

I'm relocating from California to Texas this week (military) and I wanted to know if anyone has any good suggestions for saving money while traveling. I want to try and do what I can to save money and use my gas as efficiently as possible.

The best way to save gas on a long trip is to simply not drive so fast. I have a car that gives me the gas mileage on a display in the dash, and I can see the mileage go down as I drive faster. Sticking to the speed limit works out just fine.
Anything else would just be common sense. Eat fast food instead of at nicer restaurants. If you have to stop and spend the night somewhere, pick a decent hotel, but nothing too fancy. Etc. . .

drive the speed limit and do not tail gate. try not to overload the car. Make sure tires are properly inlfated.
As far as A/C, the other poster is wrong. Modern A/C's are extremely efficient and studies have shown there is a negligible difference bewtween driving with it on or off. At highway speeds, windows open creates a signifigant amount of drag, wasting far more gas than driving with the A/C on. Windows doen breaks up the aerodynamic nature of the car, which is designed to have minimal drag. Thats why cars look the way the do today and not like they did in 1950.
The best you can do is drive smart. Set the cruise at the speed limit, sit back and relax. Every 5 mph above 65 actaully costs 10% more and doesn't really get you there any quicker, plus doing the limit saves on traffic tickets.
Ignore the idiots who will tailgate you and race on by. They obviously have big bank accounts or have somewhere real important to be.

No comments: