Monday, December 1, 2008

Anxiety causes you urinate more frequently.

Sometimes if I'm feeling very anxious, I have to go to the bathroom more often. For example, when I'm at the dentist, it seems like I have to go every 30 minutes. Also when I'm just worried about using the bathroom, that makes me want to go more frequently. Like if I'm going on a trip and a bathroom won't be readily accessible, I start getting worried and that makes me want to urinate even more. Just thinking about going to the bathroom makes me want to go. Is this normal?

It's very normal. It's part of the more baser "fight or flight" instinct.

When humans are facing extreme adversity, a common effect is the voiding of the bladder in fear.

Since anxiety is just an emotional off-shoot of the baser feeling of fear, it's perfectly common to need to void under stress-inducing circumstances.

Anxieties and stresses activiate human autonomic sympathetic system, and the sympathetic response causes skin vasoconstriction and the blood got diverged from gut and skin to muscle. Gut and skin blood supply represent a BIG portion of body blood volume, so when suddenly the same amound of blood got constricted into a much smaller volume, extra amount of fluid just has to be flushed out. The fluid goes into the bladder, as the fluid accumulates it activates bladder stretch receptors, and it in turn generates a sacral reflex (a parasympatheic response) to the sacral cord. Once this signal was sent, the bladder muscles got another signal back to contract and the urine was expelled. (Hope I got this all right----I will be tested for this for my Physiology test after two weeks!)

Yes, it's normal. A lot of us share your experiences, especially sitting in a dental chair ? I often wonder why they don't have a bedpan underneath, just a poor joke... In a plane ? I always get an aisle seat, so I'll have an easier excess to the lavatory. Traveling by car ? I always get a map quest to locate fast food places...you see what I mean ? We are in the same boat. :):}

Well, it is a normal physiological symptom to have to urinate when you are nervous, or anxious - that is a fact. You nervous system is tied in with your urinary tract. However, it sounds like you have some chronic worrying issues, and I don't think that it's healthy to be worrying about the washroom to the degree which you are. If this continues, seeking out some help to figure out ways to calm down would be a good idea.

But really, if you live in a world where you an access a computer, and the internet in order to ask this question online, then you are probably in no danger of not getting to a bathroom anyways.

So, peeing more frequently when you're nervous is normal, but there is no need to be worried about it.

No comments: