Wednesday, December 17, 2008

What happens when you get tested for bacterial vaginosis?

I'm super nervous. Like, it's not even describable how nervous I am. But I'm almost convinced I have bacterial vaginosis and I've known for a long time. But I didn't learn until just today that if it doesn't get treated, it can turn into something serious. So I made my plan that I'm going to the Options for Sexual Health drop-in clinic next week. What are they going to do?
They will just do a swab, it will be painless. The doctor has seen dozens of vaginas and yours won't be the worst, so relax! I was really nervous the first time too. I cried in the office actually. I had a pretty severe case of BV that would not go away. I tried creams, antibiotics, even boric acid vaginal suppositories for two weeks. I came across some information online about taking folic acid (orally) and how it was a cure for BV. I thought it was stupid and a long shot, but I was desperate, so I tried it. I have not itched AT ALL since I took the first folic acid supplement. I am taking 800mg twice a day and so far, so good. I REALLY didn't think this would work, but I am happy to say that IT DID!!!!!!! And from my research it seems that taking the daily recommended amount will prevent BV from returning. Good luck, I know this is awful! Also, keep in mind that antibiotics can cause BV in the first place, so look into alternative medicine, even if it's not folic acid. Do your research online or call a naturopathic doctor. CLICK HERE

they will do a pelvic exam and take a swab of fluids from your vagina. should be completely painless. (at least it was when i had it done). after that they will go and check the fluids under a microscope to correctly diagnose the infection, and go from there as to what medications to give you to treat the infection. you will be ok! trust me, it's a lot worse in your head than it actually is, i went through the exact same thing, and it did lead to further complications (cervicitis) because i was too scared to get treated, and waited too long.

Relax, all they do is look, take a swab (rub the area with a q-tiip) and test it.You're smart to go to the Dr. - I don't know how you could live with it for so long.Don't be shy about your body.... EVER We are all the same, and do you think you're the only one who has ever had a bacterial infection? Antibiotics will clear it up and you will feel a lot better.It's not a big deal.

No comments: