Saturday, December 20, 2008

Can Rephresh really cure bacterial vaginosis?

I get bv after just about every period and I am tired of throwing my money away to the doctor for him to tell me something that I already know. I've been taking the acidophilus capsules for over a week now and they don't seem to work. I ran across Rephresh which is suppose to balance the ph balance in the vagina. I was wondering has anyone used this for bv and did it actually work?
It absolutely will NOT cure BV but it is very helpful in preventing further episodes. You probably should use it after every period and after sex as well. If you think you currently have BV, you need to get treated first and then start using the rephresh after that. Sounds like you are quite knowledgeable about BV and I am sure you probably know all the things associated with it but here is my little rant anyway. Stay far far away from douching and any perfumed products for cleansing the genitals. You probably know all about the wiping from front to back and avoiding sexual practices that can drag bacteria from the rectal area to the vagina. A safe product for cleaning the vaginal area is Purpose. The normal bacteria in the vagina maintain the pH at the appropriate level but some women lack the normal amount of these bacteria called lactobacillus and there is nothing you can do to get more lactobacillus. BV tends to recur over and over again for these women and you may just be one of them. You may need to periodically get treated with the standard treatment but the rephresh is at least worth a try to see if it can reduce the number of episodes you have. good luck, it is a tough problem because you cant really cure it, but you can manage it.

Can bacterial vaginosis go by itself?Do you have to get antibiotics or will it clear up in time?
Your Dr would have to take a swab to determine, generally BV is treated with antibiotics, common ones are metronidazole and clindamycin. There are over the counter things you can buy I think, but not sure how effective they are. I highly doubt they are much use!!!

No comments: